A holiday in Cape Verde ☀️

by - May 21, 2017


Well where do I start? I wanted to share a few photos and memories from my wonderful holiday I had in Boa Vista, Cape Verde. We got back last night and I am missing it already. Whilst we were away I read 5 books (we'd only gone away for a week) and it made me want to start my blog up again. I miss writing and all I want to do is share experiences and have a random blog about my life. So here it is!

We flew to Boa Vista from Gatwick airport the morning of 13th May. We had to get up at 3am, but when you're going on holiday you somehow feel excited about waking up at that hour. Our flight was at 7.40am so we had a bit of breakfast in the Whetherspoons before we left. I have been on planes so many times in my life but I still get nervous, I actually enjoy flying but if we have a bit of turbulence I feel so on edge. Luckily our flight didn't encounter any turbulence. The flight was around 6 hours, we didn't even have a screen on our flight so luckily we had prepared ourselves downloading programs on Netflix and Disney Life. I finally started a Bullet Journal on my way there and also played a few games of Mario Kart 7 on my brothers 3DS he lent me. The airport there was tiny, it was outdoors and you could see people on the departure side flying back to England. I felt happy I was starting my holiday but knew I'd blink and then I'd be that person departing. The coach ride to the hotel was so bumpy, the roads on the Island are not built like ours, it was like being in a dessert with a few rocks here and there.



The hotel we booked was incredible, the RIU Touareg. It didn't look real, when we were driving in to the entrance I couldn't believe how big it was. We got drinks on arrival whilst someone took our luggage to our rooms, check in was super quick too. We then explored the hotel a bit and I regretting wearing leggings. We then went to our room, we was room number 9038. Our block was looking onto the beach, maybe, just maybe we would have a room with a beach view. But we didn't get our hopes up because you usually have to pay extra for that. We couldn't believe our luck when we arrived, I took a photo of my girlfriend Abbie looking at the beautiful view we had from our porch.


- Animals - 

There were a lot of stray cats around the hotel, but they were no bother, they were super cute and I think they were more hotel cats. They had no reason to leave when everyone wanted to feed and stroke them. 2 cats even had kittens which was the cutest thing ever. There were 3 black kittens and 2 grey ones. The hotel also had random goats coming in to eating their plants.


- Food & Drink -

If you know me, you know I am the fussiest eater ever. I don't like being fussy and I wish I could just eating anything and everything, but it's not that easy. I always get anxious about going for a meal with big groups who don't know what I'm like. I always worry there won't be anything I like. Usually with an all inclusive buffet I will just eat chips and pasta. Which is mainly what I ate. But this hotel had more choice for me, for breakfast I would usually have toast, egg and beans. They had pancakes and waffles which I had a couple times. They also had lots of fruit, so I have now found my love for kiwi again. For lunch I would normally have a chip butty and pasta or pizza, and fruit. Then for dinner it was pretty much the same, pasta.. chips.. pizza.. garlic bread.. rice.. Although one night I did have some potatoes and sweetcorn so YAY for a bit of change. We would usually get some crackers as well and have them as a starter meal. I am so fussy but at least there was something for me to eat, the desserts there are really good too so there was a lot of choice. The drinks were great too we got everything all inclusive. We'd have cocktails, I wanted to try them all on the menu, I had one and it was disgusting so that plan failed straight away. I stuck to a strawberry daiquiri and a carbibean blue. They had loads of juices, water, fizzy drinks. (I always have lots of fanta lemon on holiday, I love it!)



- The Beach -

The beach was amazing. They have a red flag up most days because the wind causes huge waves, but that was fine with me I hate swimming in the sea. Not knowing what is underneath me scares me so much. I was happy paddling my feet. Also the wind is a good thing, it was so hot there and without that breeze it would have been too much. Anyway, the sand was soft and smooth, there closer you got to the sea the nicer it got. We saw a few crabs in the sand but when you went near them they would hide under the sand. One of the most amazing memories I will always cherish was sitting on the beach and I could see everyone looking in the same direction. I mentioned it to Abbie and she said it's probably nothing, but I was certain they could see maybe whales or something. AND I WAS RIGHT! We could see whales in the distance, it was so exciting there must have been a few of them. I've never seen a whale before so I got so excited, we sat and watched for a while until they swam off somewhere else. A memory I will never forget.


- The Pool - 

I have to pick a hotel with a huge pool, or more than one. This pool was salt water which was strange I've not been in one that wasn't chlorine, but it was fine. It was pretty cold but once you got in you were fine, when you've been laying in the sun for so long you needed to just jump in. The pool had a bar that you swam up to, and they also had these sun lounger type things in the actual pool. The pictures don't even do this place justice.



- The Entertainment -

There was so much to do at this hotel, aqua gym, darts, yoga and so much more. The entertainment team were always so happy and upbeat, never failed to make you smile. For the first time ever I actually joined in with something, I did the aqua gym and Abbie joined in on a water balloon fight. We filmed so much from this holiday which I'll post once I've managed to edit it. All the staff were so friendly, they'd always so hello or hola, ask how you were, just genuinely being lovely people.



I had such an amazing holiday, one I will never forget, I can't wait to share my video so you can see just a bit of what I got to see. I hope you enjoyed this if you managed to stay to the end. I am going to review the 5 books I read in my next blog post.

PS. I would recommend you visiting the island of no stress!!!
- Shannon x








You May Also Like

1 comments